06 May 2009

The First Day of the Rest of Our Lives

On Monday, the twentieth of April, SpousalGoddess was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

We've had almost two months to adjust to this news. There has been fear, depression, anger, regret, and everything in between expressed in the home. We've shared our tears, and laughter in equal measure. Nevertheless, we're adjusting.

As shocking as this news is, there is plenty of reason to be upbeat and hopeful:

  • Spousal responded incredibly well to the post attack treatment.
  • Her attack was very, very mild.
  • A diagnosis of MS does not mean to a patient what it did even twenty years ago. The meds and treatments available today mean that most people with the disease live perfectly normal lives.
  • 2/3rds of MS patients never develop a serious handicap.
  • Based on the lack of MS antibodies in her spinal fluid, we appear to have caught her MS very, very early.
  • Her workplace has been amazing, and she's back to work again.

In short, even though the news is scary, there is every reason to be upbeat, hopeful, and forward-looking.

The news has led to some major changes, however:

  • I'm not giving up on the pursuit of 3D as a career, but I've acknowledged that it's time to open myself up to other options.
  • I've applied and interviewed for a metric buttload of IT positions. If I've learned anything in the past year, it's that I miss working as a sysadmin and team lead.
  • I'm no longer making movies. We have to lower SpousalGoddess' stress level. Movies didn't do that. Thus, I'm done with that.
The diagnosis means our lives have changed. It's really not about just pursuing dreams. It's about caring for the ones I love, and making sure they're provided for. So that's what I'll do.

I held off on publishing this post for a long time (the date of this text is 13 June 2009) mostly to avoid mentioning the disease in a public forum. I didn't want potential employers to pass on me for that reason. After a series of go-nowhere interviews, and a good six weeks of 3D work, however, I decided it's time to get back on this horse as well.

Expect my blog to come back to life, folks. It's about time.

3 comments:

dracut said...

Welcome back, and best wishes to the entire Bruno clan. Hopefully we'll see you in October when we're in the cities for Gaylaxicon.

Michele said...

Hugs to your wife and supportive well wishes for the whole family.

I don't blame you for being cautious in a public forum. It was a smart move.

I hope things stay controlled and manageable. I don't know a lot about MS but I sure do support the telethon. I now have one more reason to do so.
Hang in there!

Michele said...

whoops..apologies ...I was thinking MS but wrote about MD..both are nasty.
I am SO blonde...